Friday, June 04, 2004

My Life - Part Two: Talking and Cheeze

When I was a toddler (2-3yrs), I loved cheeze. My favorite was cottage cheese. I remember this time pretty well. I had long since made a conscious decision to hold off from talking just to see how long I could get away with it. Yes, I do remember making that decision. And I remember when it backfired.
When I was about 3 1/2, my mom got tired of the subborn game. The routine we had at the time was that I let her know that I wanted something with just gestures. In particular, I asked for cheeze in this way. She finally used this my desire for cheeze to try to get me to talk. She refused to give it to me unless I asked for it vocally.
After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to break her stand, I finally gave in and spoke. From that point on, whenever I ask vocally for cheeze, she got it for me.
It didn't take long for me to get so tired of cheeze, that one day, I just stopped eating it. In fact, since then, I can't stand cheeze unless it's cooked into food. I eat (and enjoy) pizza, but can't stand even that if it was too much cheeze. I often pick off particularly thick sections of cheeze from my pizza slices. ...and never order double cheeze for me, thank you.
So, basically, as a toddler, I loved cheeze. I learned to talk, and got so much cheeze because of it that cheeze now disgusts me, for life.

No comments: