Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Life is like Wine?

The amount of details I see in life is directly proportional to how long I've been alive. I appreciate wine now. I didn't give a rat's ass about wine 6 years ago. Life is like wine. Some people call a statement like that pretentious. However, nothing about that statement is pretentious if you understand and experience it.
With wine, I don't constantly seek out a new or deeper understanding of it. I experience it at the various appropriate times in context with meals, trips to Wine Country, gifts from friends, holidays, etc, and I learn about wine from those experiences. The more I partake of wine, the more I taste its complexity, the more I appreciate it and the more relevant it becomes. That pretty much parallels how I learn from my life. The longer I live, the more details I can see, the greater my experience and the better my understanding.

No comments: