Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Wild Raspberries

'Midst verdant New Hampshire groves,
Midsummer rambles begin,
Paths dappled with sunbeams in droves,
Thru valleys and over crest therein.

Beneath the boughs, a shaded trail,
Respite from day's warm gleam,
Where birds chirp, squirrels flit and hail,
A hushed wonderland, a dream.

A crimson glint amidst the thorns,
Bramble with hidden treasure,
Sweet raspberries, ruddy adorn,
Luring with their vibrant pleasure.

Fragrance wafts upon the breeze,
Drawing with an urging thrill,
As if by magic they appease,
Beckoning call to nature's will.

Berries gleam, a ruby hue,
So plump, ripe, and tempting,
Flavors tart, sweet, and true,
Nature's gift, pure and uplifting.

Nectar of the sun, they hold,
Jewels on the verdant earth,
A bounty to be savored bold,
A moment of unbridled mirth.

With each indulgent, blissful bite,
Their sweetness floods my senses true,
And in this fleeting moment's light,
I am one with nature anew.

A fleeting visitor, am I,
In this wild, enchanting space,
Yet memory of the berry's lure,
Lingers long, a smile on my face.

----

I worked with ChatGPT 3.5 to write this poem.  Though most of these words and phrases aren't directly mine, the key phrases are directly from me; with most of elements being prompted by me in one way or another.  The poem isn't a masterpiece, but it's not bad either.  The creative role I performed was actually in the interaction with the chatbot trying to work though its abilities and limitations to get a modestly good result.  

The first chatbot version of this poem was passable, but not good.  In several iterations, the chatbot "forgot" the topic of the poem and focused on some secondary detail.  I had to redirect the chatbot several times.  I was moderately impressed with how well the chatbot handled minor edits, though it made unrequested changes to unaffected portions of the poem almost every time, so I had to review each iteration to revert unintended edits.  Of course, the process took a couple of hours.  

I could've written something better than this in the same amount of time on my own.  I might try this experiment again with different prompt.

BTW, the image above is from Stable Diffusion.

No comments: